Re: [pygame] Dark Gates - pygame game on Steam.

HI,Â

Thanks for the kind words. To address few questions.

David : at this point I don't plan to release code. Old one is very buggy so not sure will that do more harm than good. But if you want some examples or you have some questions on how I did certain things, just ask.

Jentzen & Diliup : So I got greenlit as everyone indie dev these days and since then I have access to their SDK and all documentation.
Steam actually is very easy to work with, and they even do some instructional videos on how to get your builds into Steam platform. Aside creating all the art assets for branding, steam cards and achievements you are free to integrate with their SDK to level you actually want. They not force you to use it if you don't want to.

SDK is C++ and I must admin I'm not good with it, but python community is great. I have found a Ren'Py developer who was happy to share his basic wrapper for SDK to support achievements. SDK is whole much more but it was enough for me. Problem I have found was that while compiling (pyinstaller) 32bit Linux builds for some reason started to seg fault with Steam SDK where 64bit and Win32 just worked. Decided to abandon integration on 32bit Linux build and make sure that if you run Linux 64bit, Steam will run 64bit version.

My code is 100% cross platform and releasing on Linux/Win was pretty much just a compilation on given platform. I don't use any extra libs apart from what is in Python and PyGame and my art & sound assets are external so platform agnostic. OSX Version is planned if I find time to get my head around it, last time i have checked game ran from source works no problem, but I think binary version might be a bit trickier.

As for Steam Itself I think it's very good for an indie dev, They look after you and check assets before release but if you got all right that's a very smooth process. You can change things on the fly and new versions can be uploaded and released within minutes. Community seems to care a bit more if something does not work in your game and I had some avid supporters and haters :)

Ironically I have game released on Desura and they are more restrictive in terms of publishing via their client. Ironically be cause they got far less market share and waiting for a someone to push a button for release is counter productive.Â

Any more questions just ask.

Cheers
Bart