Re: [pygame] Standalone Windows Games

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Pete Shinners wrote:

>> This is great news! We target Windows too with out game, so it could make
>> our lives a lot easier. It's a fact that people are lazy, they won't surf
>> around and downloed a lot of stuff just to test a new game. I usually give
>> a new game about 15 minutes time in which is must start working, otherwise
>> it'll be given "rm -rf". I may have missed a few good games because of
>> that, but mainly I've saved a lot of nerves...
>
>does anyone know about a good linux install tool that is similar
>(include binary dependencies so no conflicts, etc). obviously
>we can't get a unix binary for every possible configuration, but
>it seems like 1 or 2 could cover most of the population.

Maybe something statically linked would be ok? That should run everywhere.
Loki has their 'Setup' tool which seems to be quite nice, and is used in a
few of their games. It has a graphical dialog (Gtk, I think).

I think many/most gamers would like to be able to just graphically select
a directory where the game is put, and when they get tired of it they can
just remove the directory and *all* traces of the game are gone. The idea
with a 'setup' binary works best if the game is distributed on CD,
otherwise we need some kind of self-extracting system. It is possible to
have a simple shell-script in which the game binary is uuencoded (or
something) and the end of the script, and the script simply decodes the
binary into some temporary space and then executes the actual setup tool.

>if someone thinks linux users need a no-brainer install also,
>it could definitely be a worthwhile project. i'll help out if
>there's trouble. given enough time i may take a crack at it myself.

Man, you do have some serious spare time... :-)