Re: [pygame] py2exe on fonty.py fails with segfault

On Jan 10, 2004, at 6:40 PM, Pete Shinners wrote:

Bob Ippolito wrote:
Pete, what do you think about coming up with a smarter scheme for resource acquisition?
I have not done any research to see if a module like this already exists.
I haven't seen anything directly like this. I believe the new "import hook" stuff that allows zipfiles had something like this, to help locating files near the imported sources. Well I heard talk of that anyways.

If anything I'd take some python code that tried a few "smart" guesses for finding a data file. Just some special cases and whatnot. If anyone knows of anything better, I'd probably just roll it directly into the pygame source if possible.
The "standard module" approach seems preferable to me because that the packaging software (be it bundlebuilder, py2exe, etc) can make one or two function calls and then any software that needs data files (so long as they use the same module) would be able to find them. If the code was in pygame, then packaging software would need code specific to pygame.

I'll figure out whether something like this already exists by Tuesday or so.. if not I'll draft something up. I'm sure it was discussed when import hooks were added, but I don't know if an implementation is floating around.

-bob