Re: [pygame] performance issues

Thanks for the ideas. FYI these are the workarounds I've ended up using.

1) nVidia control panel has settings to forcibly override the refresh rates that apps request. From SDL mailing list archives it sounds like this is an nVidia-winXP-SDL specific interaction, other cards and other systems apparently don't show the same problem.

2) Doesn't look like a memory leak and I haven't managed to identify which part of pygame causes the disk access (will inform you if I do). So I am simply waiting until it passes!

Oh, and the reason the code didn't run frmo the email was just an indentation error introduced during email -all lines should have had the same indentation level. doh!

thanks again
Jon

1) If I create my pygame display in fullscreen mode it defaults to 60Hz refresh rate which is no good for my purposes. The same code running windowed inherits the monitor rate, which is fine. Using GLUT instead of pygame there's no problem so it isn't something inherent to my system. Is there any way to control frame rate programatically, or at least to force it keep at the same rate as before?

2) After a few seconds there's a significant disk access that causes a frame rate drop (regardless of what/how much I draw to the screen). Maybe a module is being initialised late - after I've already started drawing? Does anyone else have this problem?

--
Jon Peirce
Nottingham University

http://www.psychology.nottingham.ac.uk/staff/jwp/