Re: [pygame] Want to buy font

On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 08:06 -0800, HandyGM wrote:
> I want to buy a font that is redistributable with Pygame. I'm having a
> hard time finding anything. I've found licenses for 'embedded' apps
> only, but PyGame offers no such embedding capability.
>
> Do you have an idea where I could get a typeface such as Arial or
> Georgia, with a redistribution license?

I'm almost positive you cannot redistribute these fonts, but I've seen
it done by commercial programs. I expect it is more of a mistake than a
licensed file? The good news is, there is almost guaranteed to be Arial
or an Arial compatable font on any system.

If you are hard-set to use a private font, you can also "prerender" the
font out at whatever size you intend to use. You are free to distribute
works created with the font, but not the font itself. Then again, I may
be wrong with this, I'm not fully informed on font distribution.

Most fonts are clearly non distributable. But in practice it seems to
happen all the time with little notice or penalty. I would say to a
freely distributable font, just be aware that if even though you
download it from a "Free Fonts" website, it still is probably not free.
Look at the fonts that come with a linux distribution for a good start.