[pygame] Exact meaning of "sprite"

I have a question about the "sprite" module and the use of "sprites" and
"sprite groups":

With an animated sprite -- saying a walking figure representing the
player -- is that one sprite with many surfaces representing each frame
of the walk cycle?  Or is that one "sprite group" with a separate sprite
for each walk cycle frame?

I realize you could probably do it either way, but I want to understand
what the intent was. Are sprite groups supposed to help with this kind
of animation or am I supposed to handle all of that in the class I
derive from Sprite?

Cheers,
Terry

--