[pygame] Drawing/Surface performance

Hello,
  I'm combining a paletted surface and an alpha surface so I can
manipulate the colours. As I'm quite new to python + pygame so
slowness is probably down to me :)

At the moment I cache the surfaces, but if it was realtime it would be
simpler and not use shedloads of memory.

Both methods seem too slow - especially the palette manipulation
(commenting that out speeds things up quite a bit).  The rest of the
code still seems to be slower than I'd expect without the palette code
enabled; I thought pygame 1.8 might hardware accelerate this, but it
doesn't seem to make a difference (so I'm using 1.7.1 as 1.8 isn't
finished).

The game (in progress):                                  (python ballbreaker.py)
stuartaxon.com/ballbreaker/pygame.zip          - shows the performance
stuartaxon.com/ballbreaker                             - build with caching

Cheers :)

These are the relevant two methods from block.py

    ##
    # Return a surface to represent the block
    #
    def create_surface(self, colour):
        # Check cache
        #p_colour = utils.pack_colour(colour)
        #if p_colour in Block.surface_cache:
        #    return Block.surface_cache[p_colour]

        # Create 8 bit surface and copy our image there
        pal_image = pygame.Surface((Block.width, Block.height), 0, 8)
        pal_image.set_palette(Block.indexed_image.get_palette())
        pal_image.blit(Block.indexed_image, (0, 0))

        palette = Block.indexed_image.get_palette()

        # Manipulate the palette
        pal_image.set_palette(self.colourise_palette(palette, colour))

        # Create our image palette
        image = pygame.Surface((Block.width, Block.height), pygame.SRCALPHA, 32)
        image.blit(pal_image, (0, 0), image.get_rect())

        # Get the alpha channel from our alpha image
        alpha_channel = pygame.surfarray.array_alpha(Block.alpha_image)

        # Apply the alpha to our newly colourised image
        pygame.surfarray.pixels_alpha(image)[...] = alpha_channel

        # Add to cache; eviction policy might be nice ;)
        # Block.surface_cache[p_colour] = image

        return image

    def colourise_palette(self, palette, colour):
        hls_colour = colorsys.rgb_to_hls(*utils.normalize_colour(colour))

        ##
        # Function for actually altering the colour
        def alter_colour(colour):
            h, l, s = colorsys.rgb_to_hls(*utils.normalize_colour(colour))
            h = hls_colour[0]
            l = (hls_colour[1] + l) / 2.0
            s = 0.95
            return utils.reformat_colour( colorsys.hls_to_rgb(h, l, s) )

        return map(alter_colour, palette)