Re: [pygame] can PyGame mime KongregateLab's "Shoot" tutorial game?

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Bill Seitz <fluxent@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd like to get my sons (age 10 and 8) programming, but the only hook
> that I think will get them started is the ability to make a kinda cool
> game.
>
> Ideally, I'd like to see a tutorial that leads them down the path of
> making a starter non-lame game. A specific example I've found, for
> Flash-based games, is at the KongregateLabs site:
> http://www.kongregate.com/labs
>
> Can PyGame achieve the same thing? Are there any existing tutorials or
> projects that cover similar material?
>
> More thoughts at
> http://webseitz.fluxent.com/wiki/z2008-12-23-WebGamePlatformContest

That is how I learned. I wrote Asteroids first. It is a bit hard in
that you need to understand vectors just a little and how sin and cos
are used with a circle but really that is easy to explain if you know
how.

Despite what you may have learned sin and cos are about circles. The
center is 0,0. The distance from there to draw a circle is what comes
out of cos, sin.  It is often best to convert to degrees because most
kids know that but not rads! If you want to get fancy look up a
digital differential equation to draw a line with. You use this stuff
to know how much to move everything every turn.

Other first games that my friends and I made.

Person or car goes right to left on bottom. Bird flaps about at random
in the air. Space bar poops the bird. You get points if you hit the
car.

You have a solid bar over from the right, top to bottom. It gets a
whole in it at a random spot. You have a ball bouncing top to bottom
on the left. Space bar shoots the ball hormonally and you must get it
in the hole.

Space invaders.

Snake

pac-man

frogger

Donky Kong (or any ladder and shoots type game like jump man)

Text games like shoot the wumpet.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Amazon Gift Cards; let them choose!!