Re: [pygame] Alternatives to portmidi

Hi Marcus,

Marcus von Appen wrote:
On, Tue Jan 27, 2009, Rene Dudfield wrote:

hi,

This is the most portable midi library.  It's also pretty small, and
still has active people working on it.

I thought so.
Also, it's supposed to be optional for pygame.

I know.
Platforms like freebsd don't support midi very well at all as far as I
could see.  So it's a case of supporting it on platforms that support
midi, and other platforms can come later -- if they support midi at
all.

That's right - and thus I'm wondering, whether the are alternatives to
portmidi that support other platforms as well. Though my search was
pretty unsuccessful so far.

Regards
Marcus
RtMidi has Irix support as well. It has a callback mechanism for input, useful for mapping midi messages into Pygame events. Unfortunately RtMidi is written in full blown C++, including exceptions. So there is no way to provide it as a dependency in Windows. It would have to be included as source in Pygame/pgreloaded.

http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~gary/rtmidi/

--
Lenard Lindstrom
<len-l@xxxxxxxxx>