[pygame] starting questions

Hello all. I'm just starting with pygame. I'm droping the following
questions, any help or references are welcome:

*) LAYERS - z-index in sprites. I think i've understanded the concepts
of sprites, rect, surface well but I can't find a way of managing
sprite layers. I need to 1) i need to set the zIndex attribute for
sprites so when they overlap with another one is showed on top of the
other. I also need 2) a way of know the top most sprite that receives
a mouse event. I would like to know if this stuff is already present
in pygame api, or if I have to create/simulate it by hand.

*) GUI lib. What gui light library do you recommend me?. (theme
support would be nice). I like pgu's
(http://www.imitationpickles.org/pgu)  gui module, but their site -
releases seems to be old (2007); is pgu project active?

*) events in games. I come from the GUI visual world (html, gtk,
swing) and I used to attach events to visual objects. In pygame
examples I see the programmer must capture a global event and find the
related object. does pygame support the first? (something like
"aSprite.addMouseListener(listener)" ?)

*) OLPC: have somebody experience in developing pygames for olpc (one
laptop per child)?

Well, thanks in advance and excuse my poor english.

Sebastián Gurin