Re: [pygame] speculation: a JIT for Pygame

On, Mon Jan 24, 2011, Lenard Lindstrom wrote:

[...]

> > On the SDL mailing list there is some talk in making blitters a
> > separate SDL library... but I'm not sure if that'll happen.  Might be
> > cool if that existed... perhaps in SDL_gfx.
> >
> But will the library support all the blits we may want to do? As it is,
> only those blits not supported by SDL are handled internally by Pygame.

Given SDL 1.3's current workflow, I'd not count on it. Anyways, we can
add a layer at any time, which only adds a small overhead, while
seamlessly plugging into a solid blitting API. This was what we did for
pygame already. We even set up a basic separate library code for those
routines and as you can see from the library and other approaches, the
blitting was and is rather good (software).

Adding an SDL-based abstraction layer to the underlying GFX drivers
would be nice, but is no necessity for us, since own blit routines
would have to be manually optimised for the target GFX system anyways.

So the only overhead, we'd get rid of by having a SDL-based blit API or
plugin mechanism is that abstraction layer, which is set up quickly
(struct, func pointers, done ;-).

A standardized way would be nicer (in terms of sharing with other
projects), but in the worst case[tm] this can be created outside of SDL
and maybe incorporated into it, once it's mature enough and the overall
acceptance is good.

Best
Marcus