Re: [pygame] dmg files vs .zip files on OSX?

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 4:01 PM, James Paige <Bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 08:34:33AM +0100, René Dudfield wrote:
>    Hi,
>
>    it seemed pip used to mistake all .zip files for being source packages,
>    and got confused by our .mpkg.zip binaries for OSX.  That has been patched
>    in pip now, but it might take another 5 or so years before everyone
>    upgrades...  So, I need to know if .dmg files for OSX are ok?  I seem to
>    recall some reason why .zip were preferred over .dmg files... but I can
>    not remember the reason!  I think .dmg files are ok now, since major
>    projects like VLC etc all use .dmg files.  So maybe the reason does not
>    exist anymore with modern OSX. I plan on creating new .dmg files from the
>    existing .zip files, and linking to them from the download page.
>
>    tldr;
>    Are .dmg files ok for binaries on OSX now?
>
>    cheers,

Somebody can correct me if I am wrong, but I think the problem with an
unzipped .dmg file was that there was no cross-platform tool for
creating a compressed .dmg file, so if you wanted tocreate a compressed
.dmg and you didn't have a Mac, you couldn't. A uncompressed
unencrypted .dmg file is just a disk image in HFS+ format, but the
compression and encryption are special somehow.

---
James Paige

ah, thanks.

It seems mkfs.hfsplus can create dmg files on linux now.

So, I don't think that's a problem now.  Also, we require a mac to create the binary anyway (I don't think cross compiling works...).

cu.