Re: [pygame] Segfault on loading font from StringIO

In summary, the font reading function in SDL relies on a filename, so as it stands, reading from a file-like object won't work. Covering the buffer to a string causes the data to be interpreted as a filename, which unsurprisingly gives an IOError saying the font filename can't be read (line 600 of font.c).

I had a look on Debian testing in a VM, and it seems to be happening in SDL_RWFromFile, which is not in font.c, but is called by its functions. I couldn't see where the error was happening in font.c as there are no pygame debug symbols available. I'm guessing it's the line
rw = RWopsFromPython (fileobj)
(RWopsFromPython is from rwobject.c and calls get_standard_rwop, which calls either SDL_RWFromFile or SDL_RWFromFP if it can't extract a name from fileobj)

It seems likely to be related to this comment in font_init() : /*check if it is a valid file, else SDL_ttf segfaults*/. I guess SDL_RWFromMem could be used with some kind of translation from the buffer, or SDL_RWFromFile could be altered to accept a file object. The SDL API spec for FromFile relies on a filename, however, and FromFile does the opening of the file itself using that.

Russell