Re: [pygame] Compiling pygame on Ubuntu 11.10 oneiric JPGE not found

On 27/01/12 03:42 PM, Christopher Arndt wrote:
Hi everybody,

today I upgraded my laptop to Ubuntu 11.10 and one of the first things I
did after the upgrade completed was to compile pygame from source for
Python 2.7 because I need the latest pypm module code for my projects.

I stumbled over one issue: even though I had all the dependencies
installed, the configure script said "JPGEG: not found". When I looked
into it, I found that the package "libjpeg62[-dev]" installed
"libjpeg.so[.62]" only in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu not in /usr/lib. So I
had to edit "Setup.in" and add "-L/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu" to the "JPEG"
line. Then configure found the library and everthing compiled without a
hitch.

Is this the best way to solve this? Can this be handled by
config_unix.py instead? Anybody knows, why Ubuntu installs the library
there?

Chris
This explains the /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu directory: <http://askubuntu.com/questions/52617/what-is-usr-lib-i386-linux-gnu-for>. Though a temporary soludtion, adding more lookup paths to config_unix.py would mean constant maintenance. If only there were some way to get ld to simply display the location of a library. And /etc/ld.so.conf now redirects to directory /etc/ld.so.conf.d, at least on Debian. So reading in paths from it would be complicated. ldconfig -NXp looks promising, though.

Lenard Lindstrom