Re: [pygame] Where to next?

i've had many a long session trying to think what would push pygame to the next levels. pages and pages of notes are sitting around my desk. in some ways there are some neat ideas, other ways i'm not so sure.
While I agree that "higher level" pygame would be great, I want to make the case for maintaining a great SDL wrapper in Python. I'm sure we're not in danger of dumping SDL, but please keep "raw" SDL calls possible.

Also, with regards to the scene-graph idea: it sounds pretty cool and I think a great Python screne-graph would be killer. However, I wonder if we want to re-invent the wheel, or if some other projects are already actively working on this goal.

Off the top of my head: Soya3D http://oomadness.tuxfamily.org/en/soya/ seems to be one promising attempt at a Python scene-graph. (The GPL might discourage some, though.) Crystal Space apparently has (undocumented) Python bindings and is LGPL: http://crystal.sourceforge.net . (And you mentioned COIN, which has a BSD-licensed binding called pivy: http://pivy.tammura.at/ ). Most of this and more can be found at http://www.py3d.org .

So, my question is: how is your vision for pygame different than these libraries?