Re: [pygame] Where to next?

Hello, there has been talk of extra game libs in general and pyplatform came up a few times.
I wrote pyplatform a while back over the holidays.

for ppl who have not used pyplatform, it is quite flexible and sports features such as multiple split screen (as many as your screen can hold), moving platforms (can draw a path), Full level editor, Paralax, 9 layers, sloped platforms and  it is not grid/tile based.

I have stopped developing pyplatform for a few reasons.
 - Nice alpha blended hi res gfx is slow even on the fastest pc's. (800x600 was pushing it /w a 2ghz cpu)
 - I tried for correct collision detection but I was unable to get it 'right' I ended using many hacks to get things to 'look' right, but it was just messy.

This is not a request, just saying what would make pyplatform's development worthwile.

# OpenGL Backend
OpenGL or some such backend that did hw accel gfx/alpha- It would be great if one could program as if using a canvas but have ogl speed up things behind the scene. Also pygame would just use a subset of opengls functions and not require pyopengl.
If people want to do 3D programming they can use pyOpenGL.

# Collision detection Lib.
Some kind of collision detection as a part of pygame. PyODE sounds great but any half decent collision detection would be good.
Even though pyODE exists, it need to be a part of pygame before all pygamers will have it

By the way, I rewrote pyplatform with pyopengl and pygame for input. Anyone interested?

http://www.linuxmail.org/