Re: [pygame] Testing if a File Exists

So, how exactly do try/except things work?  I've seen them in various programs but I dn't know what they really do.  I was just about to ask, and this seemed the perfect opportunity...

On 7/8/07, Dave LeCompte (really) <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"John Eikenberry" <jae@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ian Mallett wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Exactly what it sounds like.  Using pygame.image.load("[file]") will
>> return
>> an error if the file doesn't exist.  How do you test if it exists
>> without
>> actually loading it, and without crashing?  Thanks.
>
> os.path.exists(path)
>
> http://docs.python.org/lib/module-os.path.html

Some consider it "more pythonic" to just try the call and deal with the
exception:

try:
  pygame.image.load(imagefile)
except pygame.error: