[pygame] Particle Effects

Hey you all =)

While I was learning how to make a very simple particle system, came across this article http://www.scriptedfun.com/particle-effects-for-games/ and was able to do it in no time. It is all good so far, but I was wondering how to make some coller effects like:

- Glow: I wanna have a system where, when a bunch of particles are really close, they area goes all bright glowing. I guess if I could make one single particle glow, this effect would really be done, becouse when they get together the effect of the "sum" of the glows of single particles would be sufficient. But I'm not sure how to make glows with PyGame drawing routines.

- Blur: How can I make a particle like, leave a trail or so? Not a big trail, something that makes it look like it's blurring the background.

If these require some big hacks, than I wouldn't want then becouse I need to integrate this in a very clean way with my work in progress (These will be visual effects for some spells in my zelda-like rpg). Feel free to make me suggestion about another ways to make cool effects for the spells =)

Thank you already.