Re: [pygame] pgreloaded 2.0.0-alpha5 released

On, Fri Jul 23, 2010, Gregor Lingl wrote:

> Hi Marcus,
> > Hi Gregor,

> >> It seems to me that there is a certain lack of examples and ported
> >> games to pygame2. Perhaps because porting seems to be quite tedious.
> >>

> > It's absolutely not tedious, but there is a decent lack of resources and
> > time. pygame2 is currently developed by one person (me), who has a funny
> > and incomplete time sharing model for free time to spend :-D.
> >
> Would your time sharing model allow for an easy and "asolutely not
> tedious" converting the appended
> script in a "quasi state of the art" way? It could serve me as a model
> or pattern for trying to convert one
> of my games, just as a first step to dive into pygame2.

Sure. Though I won't be able to start with that before August, since
I'll be on some trips the next week with only limited access to anything.

> > >  (2) I was not able to play an *.ogg
> > >  (3) If "someSound.ogg" is loaded, retrieving someSound.len lets the
> > >      program crash
> > Some questions to ask here: Which platform are you on (Win32, Linux,
> > ..., 32 or 64 bit) and which library versions are you using (SDL,
> > SDL_mixer, libogg). If on Windows, are you using the prebuilt
> > installers, did you compile it yourself (using the prebuilt lib
> > package)?
> >
> Im working on Win32 (WindowsXP, ServicePack 2). I just downloaded the
> msi-installer
> pygame2-2.0.0a5.win32-py3.1.msi
> and installed it. I didn't install any additional libraries. Should I
> have done so?

No, that should not be necessary. I just asked in case, you built
pygame2 yourself, exchanged libraries or something like that. The
installers ship with anything required. This is the first time to use
MSVC for the third party libraries, though, so they might become a
source of errors as well, which I try to get rid of as soon as the
errors occur.

> I've an installation of Python 3.1.2 and pygame1.9.1 for Python 3.1.
> Don't know if
> pygame2 shares libraries with python 1.9.1

It does not.

> I understand that one of the main goals of the development of pygame2 is
> to have a
> more modular structure to facilitate the creation of executables.
>
> What other important advantages over python 1.x are  the objectives of
> the redesign?

- straight seperation of anything (less integration, more modularity)
- better 1:1 wrapping of the various APIs with a focus on applying an OO
  model, where possible
- usage of certain patterns (abstract classes, interfaces, etc.) to
  allow a better interoperability with other libraries and systems
- focus on support for many Python versions at the same time (currently
  it goes all the way from 2.4 to 3.x without larger limitations)
- another focus on supporting new 3rd library features much faster than
  with pygame (due to the higher modularity, this is much easier)
- faster integration options for completely new libraries
- less complex code

Another big advantage is that the complete code base was nearly written
from scratch, so certain flaws from the original pygame have been
avoided. On the other hand, there's currently less stability, but that's
a matter of testing and time, mostly :-).
This does not mean, pygame's code base is bad, it's just ... grown.

Best
Marcus