[pygame] Installation on Beaglebone Black w Angstrom Linux

I've been trying to install Pygame on the Beaglebone Black running Angstrom Linux with a Cortex-A8 processor. Although the online opkg repository lists python-pygame as available for arm7a architecture, searching via the beaglebone does not find python-pygame. After installing all of the dependencies listed on the online opkg repository, except for libsmpeg, I tried to install from source. However, the installation can't find libsdl-mixer, which I have already installed (v libsdl-mixer-1.2-0 - 1.2.11-r0.1) into /usr/lib.

Installation output:
root@beaglebone:~/Desktop/pygame-1.9.1release# LOCALBASE=/usr/lib python setup.py install

WARNING, No "Setup" File Exists, Running "config.py"
Using UNIX configuration...

Hunting dependencies...
sh: smpeg-config: command not found
WARNING: "smpeg-config" failed!
SDL     : found 1.2.15
FONT    : not found
IMAGE   : not found
MIXER   : not found
SMPEG   : not found
PNG     : found
JPEG    : found
SCRAP   : found
PORTMIDI: not found
PORTTIME: not found

I tried to set LOCALBASE, as suggested in the documentation, but this did not affect the installation output. I only hope to use the sound mixer portions of pygame. Can someone help me install it on the Beaglebone Black?

Many thanks,
Arthur

In case it's useful, here's the rchitecture from beaglebone opkg:
root@beaglebone:~/Desktop/SDL_mixer-1.2.12# opkg print-architecture
arch all 1
arch any 6
arch noarch 11