From: Andy Sy [mailto:andy@netfxph.com]
Sent: 04 June 2002 11:11
To: pygame-users@seul.org
Subject: Re: [pygame] How fast is pygame meant to be?

> > Another observation - hardware acceleration doesn't seem to be available
in
> > windowed mode. Is it meant to be?
>
> true, this is how SDL works. when using a window SDL doesn't even bother
> with directx acceleration. there's nothing technical keeping that from
> working, it just sadly has never been written for SDL.

Accelerated OpenGL in a window works (at least
on my Windows XP/Voodoo 3 setup) fine though. The
hardware alpha blending, scaling, vastly more
powerful sprite blitting (i.e. 2D polygons) etc...
that OpenGL provide make the added complexity
of learning the API really worth it.

A 3D API is really the way to go as a lot of
hardware functionality is not exposed by
DirectDraw especially now that it's deprecated.

Pygame makes initializing OpenGL whether in a
window or fullscreen a snap and the integration
with the other functions like sound is still
just as easy.