Re: [pygame] network

On Monday 28 June 2004 10:19, Sami Hangaslammi wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 07:17:00 -0700, Pete Shinners <pete@shinners.org> wrote:

> > The Twisted documentation I've read starts like "you don't write
> > applications that use twisted, you write libraries that plugin to it".
>
> This is just propaganda that you can choose to ignore if you wish. :)
> It's quite possible to use Twisted like an ordinary library if you
> just want to to create a simple message protocol of your own.

It's not JUST Sockets, but the protocols it supports. FTP, WEB, IRC, etc, it's
all excedingly simple to use. And as someone said, the perspective broker
makes it easy to write custom game oriented protocols.

So instead of diddling with a socket, and manually unpacking the data, and
writing all sorts of support code to figure out the packet means that player
1 just shot at player 2 ( which is reinventing the wheel yet again ), you can
use twisted. And twisted makes protocol creation a lot easier than the above
code-diddling.

Your argument is kinda funny in a way...

"Why use Twisted, when you could use sockets?"

"Why use Pygame when you could use plain pySDL or SDL + C?"

You use libraries to avoid reinventing wheel.  :)

I need to upgrade my Distro to check out PyCairo...