Re: [pygame] root privileges when running pygame

Hi!

Darrell Stitt wrote:
I'm attempting to run pygame but it says:
pygame.error: Unable to open a console terminal

Hm... why 'console terminal'?

when I run this I expect to see a yellow window. What I get is a
fullscreen with yellow only if I run this sudo or as root.

You really mean 'fullscreen'?? Or only 'completely filled window'?

This is on my linux ppc. Using XP I get a yellow window.

Usually, it's the other way around, because only the user who has started the X session is allowed to create windows in it, then not even root is allowed to. Is your X session running as root?? What I observed, when I try to run your script as root under the user-owned X session, the monitor flickers (just like when changing resolution) and I get the following:

Xlib: No protocol specified

Xlib: No protocol specified

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "test.py", line 4, in ?
    d=pygame.display.set_mode((500,500))
pygame.error: No video mode large enough for 500x500

Maybe these problems are related / the same.

Bye
Tobias

--
Debian GNU/Linux Sarge has been released as stable!
 -- http://www.debian.de/News/2005/20050606