Re: [pygame] Natto-Cat

Patrick Mullen wrote:

Camera scrolls too slow for my liking, I would prefer it to scroll at
least as fast as Natto moves

I'll add an option in the prefs file to increase the scroll speed to match the cat. The reason the screen scrolls slower is because I love the C64 Boulderdash, where it was possible to run offscreen.

In level 2 there is a hole in the wall, I thought it would take me to
another room or something, but when I went there the game crashed.

Oops! Can you tell me which cave or describe what's in it? I looked at cave 2 and couldn't find any holes. (The game doesn't check if something moves out of bounds and so will crash in that case.)

Also, the blood splatter looks great, but the explosion when enemies die
is a little square - maybe this is one of the graphical issues you
thought only you would notice ;)

I tried using more "explosion-shaped" explosions, but they didn't look as good, especially when they exploded around the indestructable walls. Maybe I should try again.

The graphical issues are things like the small floating extra life cat
head flickering as it attaches itself to the status bar, RB51's eyes not
moving properly if he's been splattered, etc.  Sometimes I've seen weird
display issues with the screen scrolling and growing walls growing at
the same time just out of the viewing area, but I haven't been able to
replicate it.

About the blood being too slow on slow computers, does it only slow down
during the splatter, or are you redrawing the blood every frame?  If it
only slows down for the one or two frames that it is splattering, then
its not really a problem is it?

Well, if there's a lot of space below the explosion it will be falling and onscreen for more than a few frames. And even offscreen blood has to be calculated, though not drawn.

Also, is there going to be a password or level select option?  I don't
want to play through very many levels at this point because I don't want
to have to redo all my work.

You can select one of 6 caves at the title screen. In the future I'd like to unlock other caves as they're won, and add a high score list.

It's a very nice game, great work!  The blood makes it so much more
interesting than other bd clones, I wonder why that is?  Just more
satisfying hehe.

Thanks, I think so, too. I really appreciate your feedback!

Aaron