Re: [pygame] Isometric Math

Use Opengl, and just tile the texture infinitely, and use a perspective view matrix. ;-)

I actually tried OpenGL some time ago for isometrics. I was even able to get "billboarding" (sprites) working to some extent, and I liked being able to rotate the thing to any angle. But the framerate was bad even after I tried to do that pre-compiled geometry trick (GL_COMPILE or something like that), and it just didn't look very good. Screenshots:

Isometrics in Pygame, using 90x45 Photoshop-drawn tiles:
http://kschnee.xepher.net/pics/iso060601.png

Isometrics in OpenGL, using textures on 3D shapes + translucent water plane:
http://kschnee.xepher.net/pics/bluecolony02.jpg
http://kschnee.xepher.net/pics/bluecolony02s.jpg [Small]

http://kschnee.xepher.net/pics/bluecolony01.jpg
http://kschnee.xepher.net/pics/bluecolony01s.jpg [Small]

Title screen w/obligatory spinning translucent crystal:
http://kschnee.xepher.net/pics/bluecolony00.jpg

Kris