Re: [pygame] Text-Based RPG

Jonah Fishel wrote:

I've been away from Python for several months. I just came back to it, to start working on a text-based RPG. To get started, I decided to move by rooms. I have separate text files for each major message, to conserve file space. What troubles me is that when I tested it, whenever I enter anything into the command line, it says 'Invalid command' which I included as an error message. Here is where I think the trouble is:

def command_line():
    command = raw_input('>>> ')
def command(command, current_room):
    if current_room == anthro_tavern:
        if command == 'north':
print '\n\nThat room does not exist yet. Please try again.\n\n'
        elif command == 'south':
print '\n\nThat room does not exist yet. Please try again.\n\n'
        elif command == 'down':
            print 'That room does not exist yet. Please try again./n/n'
        elif command == 'talk to garrick':
            speech = open('garricks_speech.txt', 'r')
            print speech.read()
            speech.close()
        elif command == 'talk to janet':
            speech = open('janets_speech.txt', 'r')
            print speech.read()
            speech.close()
        elif command == 'talk to stranger':
            print 'This feature is coming soon.'
        else:
            print 'Invalid command.'
        anthro_tavern()
    else:
print 'Error 1: Non existent room being requested/nfrom. If this error appears, something/nis very wrong.'
def anthro_tavern():
    text_file = open("swamp_tavern.txt", "r")
    print text_file.read()
    text_file.close()
    command(command_line(), anthro_tavern)
    return current_room

anthro_tavern()

command_line doesnt appear to return anything, so the command will always be None.

Will