[pygame] Rect collision by direction

Hello,
I've been trying to find a way to, when detecting collisions between two sprites, determine which side of one sprite is colliding with the other. Basically, I want to make it so that when a character walking to the left collides with a block to his/her left, he/she stops moving, but if the character is moving slightly downwards, he/she will continue moving down, but stop moving to the left. I'm sure there's some simple solution to this, which I have been missing entirely.
Thanks!
--Skizzaltix