Re: [pygame] VideoCapture, PIL, and PyGame

I don't know exactly how VideoCapture is implemented, but the camera
buffer is apparently in BGR color order and the pixels are in reverse
order.

Thus, you can't use it directly as a Surface.  You could fix the
upsidedown image by using pygame.image.fromstring() with the last
argument as True.  It would probably be faster than going through PIL,
but then once you switch R and B with Numpy, it'll be slower again.
It would only be worth it if you don't want PIL as a dependancy.

If you want speed, the best way would be to write a C function to
write to a new Surface, reading from the end of the image to the
beginning.

A little psuedocode, without all the python API and SDL stuff.

Uint8* src = end_of_camera_buffer;
Uint8* dst = start_of_pygame_surface;
for (int i = 0; i < width*height*byte_depth; i++) {
    *src-- = *dst++;
}

Nirav