Re: [pygame] Show text on screen for a limited time

I hadn't been using sprite groups but now that you mention it, it's a
helluva' idea. Thank you.

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 10:14:18 -0700, Kevin Secretan  wrote:

Are you using sprite Groups? In any case, a simple solution to me would be
having the "Try Again" surface wrapped up in a sprite class along with a
"lifetime" attribute you can set, then in the update() loop check to see
if
it's time to kill it or not, where killing could mean removing from a
sprite group or setting a "visible" flag or however you're controlling
which sprites get rendered when. "lifetime" can either be a number of
frames, in which case you'd just decrement it on update(), or a number of
seconds, which you can then compare with an initial "last_time" variable
initialized with pygame.time.get_ticks(), and you just compare your
lifetime var with (pygame.time.get_ticks() - self.last_time) to determine
if it's time to kill it or not. If you re-add the sprite to a group later,
you can reset/initialize the "last_time" var then.

Hope this helps,
-Kevin