Re: [pygame] Improved Sprites System - Call for Suggestions

this could go under the vis/invis or blending. Would love to have pixel and sprite transparency. Would require OpenGL, I suppose.

--- On Fri, 6/1/12, Nicholas Seward <nicholas.seward@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Nicholas Seward <nicholas.seward@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [pygame] Improved Sprites System - Call for Suggestions
To: pygame-users@xxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, June 1, 2012, 7:50 AM

I like all of these ideas. Polygonal collisions would be very useful. (A naive O(n^2) but effective/readable/maintainable approach would be to see if any edges intersect between their vertices after you get a positive rect collision.)

An efficient spatial data structure for rendering and collision detection would really put pygame over the top.  Imagine: you could prototype a scale-able CAD program in a day.  If you could have a million off screen sprites without a performance dip that would be amazing.  A million updates would still cause a lag but if you could turn off updates for off screen sprites except where flagged then you would have a scale-able platform.   This would be one of the hardest thing on your list and most people won't ever know it is there. There is a special place in pygame heaven for the person that makes this happen.

The most useful thing on your list has got to be adding visual attributes.  I personally thought this was a weak area and have extended the Sprite class to hold a reference image and let me scale, rotate, and remask with ease.  I only use the vanilla version when I am teaching students.

Good Luck,
Nicholas Seward