From: owner-pygame-users@xxxxxxxx <owner-pygame-users@xxxxxxxx> on behalf of pjfarley3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <pjfarley3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 8:40 PM
To: pygame-users@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [pygame] Can the pygame infrastructure be used for non-graphical text-mode games?

A lot of the old "adventure" games and similar game efforts from the very
early days of computing were strictly text-mode games with no graphics used
(or needed) at all.

The old code base for such games wasn't always very well organized or
designed, they just (mostly) worked.  I had a thought that updating such a
game's design and structure with more modern design principles and
supporting architecture would be an interesting exercise.

Is it possible to use the pygame infrastructure to implement text-mode-only
games?  Without having to pick window sizes and resolutions and set fonts
and font sizes, etc., etc., on a graphical surface?

IOW, can the pygame keyboard input and screen output processes be replaced
with simple python raw_input() and print() calls?

Or am I just looking at the wrong library to use for such games?

TIA for your advice and opinion.

Peter