Re: [pygame] Mp3

> I've used pygame.mixer.music to try to play an MP3 nut the playback
> sound tricky (at least under Windows 2000).
>
> Is mp3 support complete ?
>
> In the documentation I cannot find a list of supported file format.

yes. there is support for MP3, but i've found it doesn't work
100% on all MP3's out there. MP3 support is provided through
SDL_Mixer, which uses the SMPEG library for MP3 decoding.

SMPEG doesn't quite decode all MP3's correctly, i think the
biggest problem is variable birate files. but i've also found
strange playback on files that are not 41khz.

A full list of formats is pretty big, but it supports MP3 (from SMPEG).
it also supports WAV and all mikmod supported files (MOD, MTM, IT, etc)
There is also some support for oggvorbis, but you'll need to compile
that into your SDL_mixer, which i had a little trouble with when i
first tried it several months ago. Also if you have the timidity
sound samples all configured correctly, you can get software MIDI
playback (but i've never tried this)

hopefully that answers your question about music playback. for
playing actual soundfiles, there is only support for WAV. to use
these other formats, play them back in the pygame.mixer.music module.

hope that helps. MP3 support is there, but it's not 100% best way
to know if your soundfile will play is to try it. goodluck