[pygame] Import Error with Imageext

Hey all-

	I'm having a strange problem displaying images through Pygame.

	I'm running Redhat 7.2 (i386), and compiling pygame against a
built-from-source installation of python 2.2. I'm building pygame using
the following commands:

python2.2 setup.py

	(I use this command so that python 1.5.2, the python in /usr/bin/env
python, is not called)

	SDL-devel (1.2.2-3) and SDL_image-devel (1.2.1-1) are both installed,
but imageext.so is not created.

	If I edit the "Setup" file generated by the pygame install, and
uncomment the following line:

imageext src/imageext.c $(SDL) $(IMAGE)

	imageext.so is build and installed into the correct directory
(/usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/pygame).

	I notice that the Setup.in file does not have this line uncommented,
yet running setup.py produces a file with it commented out. I dumped the
output of the setup.py script to a file, but could find no errors
mentioning why imageext was excluded.

	After uncommenting the line and re-runing setup.py, imageext.so is
built and installed to the correct destination.

*however*

	If I run the following:

[cycon@odyssey CogDevApp]$ python2.2
Python 2.2 (#1, Feb 17 2002, 01:17:32)
[GCC 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-98)] on linux2
>>> import pygame
>>> import pygame.image
>>> import pygame.imageext
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: /usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/pygame/imageext.so:
undefined symbol: jpeg_resync_to_restart

	You'll see that I get an error when pygame attempts to import imageext.
(I discovered this by doing some checking in the __init__.py file).

	Can anyone explain why I'm seeing this problem? If I attempt to load a
jpg, I get an "File is not a Windows BMP" error.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve Castellotti
SteveC@innocent.com
http://cogengine.sourceforge.net/