Re: [pygame] Tutorial by Tom Chance

Hi Frank,

> I haven't looked at the tutorial very deeply but it looks nice from a
> first glance. I myself prefer the chimp kind of tutorial with line by line
> explanations whereas this tutorial seems to always present a bunch of code
> and then explain it. Just a matter of style and preferences though.

Let me explain why I didn't go for the traditional approach. I learnt Pygame
through the line by line example first, and then by examing the source code
of other people's games. I came to Pygame as a Python novice, so it took me
quite a while to work out how to do something more complex than the chimp
example. I also had to spend quite a while working out from the reference
docs and source code some of the background details, like what sprites and
collisions are, and I had to re-learn vectors having not dealt with them for
quite a while.

So I wanted to write a tutorial that didn't aim to show you line by line how
to create a specific game, but instead to introduce lots of useful knowledge
that I would have appreciated when progressing from the chimp example to
making a pong game. That can't really be done line by line, because that
approach doesn't allow the reader to appreciate the "big ideas" that I aimed
to cover.

> Unfortunately Tom didn't bring along much patience and left IRC after about
> 10mins shortly before I could reply, so I'm hereby forwarding his request
> and suggest Pete contacts him about the details on the linking on
> pygame.org.

Sorry about that. I'm on a modem connection that is charged per minute, so it
would have been expensive for me to hang around in IRC, not knowing how long
it would take for somebody to reply.

Tom