[pygame] best modality

hi folks, someone can tell why using this modality:

pygame.display.set_mode((640, 480), pygame.HWSURFACE |
pygame.DOUBLEBUF) | pygame.FULLSCREEN)

my game run slower than setting display mode without
using fullscreen? I have always thought that
fullscreen modality was faster that open display in a
window, but...also I've noticed that setting my
monitor to a lower pixel depth, my fps become better,
why? How can I find the best video modality to use to
have best fps?

sorry for bad english
thank you

Yahoo! Cellulari: loghi, suonerie, picture message per il tuo telefonino
http://it.yahoo.com/mail_it/foot/?http://it.mobile.yahoo.com/index2002.html