Re: [pygame] best modality

On Friday, Mar 14, 2003, at 20:54 America/New_York, R. Alan Monroe wrote:

"best display mode" is probably a better translation. every operating
system seems to work a little differently in how the display runs. using
a 16bit display mode will be faster than a full 32bit mode, but not all
Beginning to get offtopic, but... :^) this varies on some
videocards. I was surprised to find how much smoother high bitrate
videos played in 32bit rather than 16bit, on my geforce 4. It seemed
counterintuitive, but I'm not arguing.
It's not really counterintuitive.. new cards are optimized for 32bit (or higher!) modes, 16bit is just there for compatibility. It might even have to upsample everything from 16bit to 32bit before it does anything with it.

-bob