Re: [pygame] from Python+Pygame to C+SDL, Any experiences?

On Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003, at 04:43 America/New_York, campbell barton wrote:

I have been using python and pygame for a little while now and think I could move on to C & SDL, The main reason for this is that I would like access to a wider variety of libs (Libart and misc audio/midi)

Has anyone on this list used Pygame to learn and then moved to C and sdl, and if so what was it like? is it worth it.
You gain very little from this approach. Even in the commercial world, more and more people are moving on to "C++ when it's necessary" rather than for everything. Libraries are important, but it shouldn't be the deciding factor to move to C. You'll want to wrap these with Python in a pygame friendly way, whether this is by hand, with SWIG, BOOST.Python, or what have you. It will take a few days (maybe a little more than that, some libraries require re-engineering or a lot of good thought to wrap in a pythonic way) up front to wrap these libraries and get used to writing python extensions, but once you do, you'll most likely be far better off using the hybrid python/c approach than any other way.

-bob