[pygame] Variables linking to eachother

I have had this problem a few times.
When I assign a variable, sometimes they 'link' to eachother eg

x = 1
y = x
x = 2
print y
2

In this example of what is the problem is, however this example works.

I had the problem when duplicating an item in a list.
platformList.insert(1, platformList[selectedPlatform]) # This had problems, both items linked togather and I could not change one part of the list item without the other changing too.

However turning the list item into a string and eval()'ing it worked without the linking problem.
platformList.insert(1, eval( str(platformList[selectedPlatform])))

Does anyone know what is going on, how to get around this problem a better way?

http://www.linuxmail.org/