[pygame] Missing fonts on Ubuntu Edgy

This is on Ubuntu Edgy:

    >>> import pygame
    >>> pygame.init()
    open /dev/sequencer: No such file or directory
    (6, 0)
    >>> pygame.version.ver
    '1.7.1release'

    >>> pygame.font.match_font('Verdana')
    '/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSansOblique.ttf'

I do have Verdana:

    $ fc-match -v Verdana|grep file
            file: "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/verdana.ttf"(s)

however /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/ does not have a
fonts.dir, nor fonts.scale, nor fonts.cache-1.  Only fonts.cache-1 in my
home directory knows about Verdana.

I imagine I would have the same problem with any fonts installed into
~/.fonts/

Suggested fix: have pygame/sysfont.py parse ~/.fonts.cache-1.  (There's
a slight complication: most fonts.cache-1 files have three fields per
line (font name, some number, font properties), while ~/.fonts.cache-1
has four (font name, some number, some other number, font properties).

Actually, as I recall from a discussion about a different bug[1] (that
still plagues me in 1.7.1), the CVS version of PyGame uses fc-list to
find fonts on Unix systems, so this bug should be already fixed in CVS.

[1] http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/pygame-users/2970161

Marius Gedminas
--
If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem.