[pygame] Using pygame.joystick with Tkinter

pygame users,

We've had some users experience some weirdness using pygame.joystick under IDLE (Tkinter-based editor) under Linux and Mac. It appears to be a problem between pygame and Tkinter event handling. In fact, I've seen other places that mention such interactions.

It appears that using pygame.event requires that the display system be initialized. This is the same event handler for the joystick, but of course we don't have any display events.

Is there a way to use the joystick interface without initializing the display system? Or another way to avoid this interaction?

Any help or pointers would be appreciated!

-Doug