[pygame] mix pygame with win32?

I'm thinking of making a GUI for pygame (I know it's been done already), but I don't want to unless I can render fonts with bold, italic, etc. in-lined into the string, like, e.g., Qt's "RTF" strings.  It's not the same when you render them separately and patch it together; the spacing isn't right.  I've been told that not even the new beta pygame that uses freetype can do that.  So I was thinking maybe I could (on Windows) call some win32 function to render text, but I'd imagine I have to pass it a device context handle or whatever for the surface to draw on, and I don't see a function in pygame to return a device context handle.  So...Is there any way to do this?  Thanks.