[pygame] Mac OS X image issue

Hi everyone,

Do I understand correctly that pygame on Mac OS X does not support image formats other than BMP?

From the pygame docs (http://www.pygame.org/docs/ref/image.html) I get

"""
Pygame may not always be built to support all image formats. At minimum it will support uncompressed BMP. If pygame.image.get_extended - test if extended image formats can be loaded returns 'True', you should be able to load most images( including png, jpg and gif ).
"""

When calling pygame.image.get_extended from the interpreter I get "0". So apparently I cannot use the extended formats.

I have Python2.6 and Pygame1.9.1 installed on Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

Any hints? It's really sad I cannot check out most of the other Pygamers' games because I keep getting

pygame.error: File is not a Windows BMP file

whenever a non-BMP image is loaded via pygame.image.load.

Kind regards,
Johannes