[pygame] Intercepting the Keyboard

Hello everyone,
In creating audio-based games, I'm trying to make my programs work with
major screen readers. The problem is that the industry leader, JAWS, likes
to intercept keystrokes sent to the system. This means that if you build
arrow key use into a pygame program, JAWS gets to your arrow keys first and
processes them before Pygame can. Unfortunately, cutting out the screen
reader isn't an option, as it's used to read any game text that might be
written to the screen.
I'm curious if anyone has recommendations as to how I could have Pygame or
Python get to keyboard events before the rest of the system. I have a friend
who was able to make this happen using C#.net, but I can't even begin to ask
how or if it's possible to do this using Python.
Any help you all can provide would be greatly appreciated.
All the best,
Ryan