Re: [pygame] Feature discussion, proposals

Mikhail V wrote:
1. It turns out that 32 bit surfaces is an overkill in most cases. Good that there is 8 bit mode.

What evidence do you have of that? Have you done any
benchmarking?

- how does the indexed image is generally rendered? Is it like: it sends index array to video card and the card makes substitution?

That would depend entirely on your system, and I would
expect huge variations from one system to another.
Even if using indexed images is a performance
optimisation on *your* system, it's likely to be
a pessimisation on someone else's.

Personally I would forget about optimisation and
only use indexed surfaces if it simplified my program
logic. For performance, I trust convert() and
convert_alpha() to know more about the system it's
running on than I do.

--
Greg