Re: blits proposal, was Re: [pygame] Dirty rect overlapping optimizations

My votes:
  • don't bother with return value.  If a person cared (probably doesn't), then the rects can be inferred from the list sent to Surface.blits()  (again, not a fan of dirty rects)
  • or, make the default behavior not return a list of rects (return=False).  default-on would be incorrect, imo.
  • many sources to many destinations would be complex, and there are no other pygame methods that operate like that (that i am aware of). so no for now, unless very easy to implement (probably not).

I would maybe consider enforcing a fixed tuple size that is sent to the function.  The cost of dynamically unpacking and checking the length of each might be detrimental (benchmark, maybe?)

I'm not so sure that multiprocessing is a way forward, because of the lock contention involved with the destination surface.  Complex schemes to make lists of non-overlapping rects and delegating to workers smells np-complete to me.  Threads/processes waiting around for a lock seems like it would ruin the benefits of parallelism.  Who knows, however?

This would be a great benefit for the built in sprite groups.  Looking forward to seeing it implemented.