Re: [pygame] flickering

azazel wrote:

hi folks, I've a problem with pygame(it occurs even with C+SDL) on
Windows, if I set video mode with DOUBLEBUF | FULLSCREEN flags, using
flip() to update, every surface drawn on the screen that isn't redrawn
every frame start flickering, this doesn't happen on Linux, perhaps
because video memory isn't available. What can I do?
thank you, sorry for bad english

azazel:

I've found on windows using pygame.display.update() is much faster than using doublebuffering/flip(). Only when I need to do a full screen update do I flip a buffered display up (like I'm performing an effect on the entire/most of the display). The RenderUpdates sprite class facilitates this a great deal, but AFAIK every drawing and blitting action returns a rect which can be passed through to the update method for the display. I tend to leave double buffering and hwsurface off at this point.

Is there any guidance from pete and other pygame gurus out there on when to use what?

robert