[pygame] How to speed up gameplay?

Hello all,
I have a quick question that some of you may have dealt with when making games.
Its not too technical.

I've built a pacman game, it runs sweet, apart from when pacman tries to go thru a gap in the wall.
everything is made up of 20x20 sprites, the whole grid (is this the problem?)
and basically the only way i found to speed up the game is to change how many pixels pacman moves each turn. So i changed it to two pixels per turn and it runs a bit better on slower computers but still when he tries to get thru the gap in the wall he has to be lined up with it perfectly, and thats hard to get when he's moving 2pix.. for example... (hope this comes out)

---------| . |----- 20pixel gap

when u are going along the maze and try to go down its really hard to press down at the right time,
any ideas ? need more info ?

I'll try post the game on my website 2moro evening after its been marked so you know what im talking about.(its for a framework assignment, i chose pygame as my framework and tried to make a game with it.) its been fun :) but i cant figure this out.

:Ant

Find your perfect match @ http://personals.xtramsn.co.nz with XtraMSN Personals!