[pygame] Python, Pygame and Performance

Hello,
This is my first post on this mailing list, so please forgive my countless errors :)

I am fairly new to programming in python (only a few months) and so far have loved it. A _lot_.

Now here is my dilemma, whenever I talk about writing code in python (especially game related things) people always seem to come back with the same response 'its too slow!' ... or laugh off its feasibility.

I know that python is not an ideal language to write a full fledged game in (it is more of a glue language after all), but lately I have been spending a lot of time on a mini game project and the results have been impressive.

I have written similar programs previously in C++, using DirectX (via my own low level wrappers) and the performance of that was at most - only slighter better then using pygame.
- But I didn't have the safety of python, the clean list semantics, and rapid pace of development on my side. All major advantages that come from using pygame.

I don't believe I'm alone in noticing this illogical dislike for python/pygame.
Has anyone else experienced this?

Any tips on what to do about it (besides hitting the nay-sayer with a stick)?

Would anyone be interested in writing an article, or some benchmarks to actually give some *solid* evidence we could direct people to when the 'pygame's too slow' argument comes up?

Python advocacy is harder then it looks! :)
- Jacob