[pygame] Fwd: Soc Simple Networking

--- Begin Message ---
>From owner-pygame-users@xxxxxxxx  Mon May  1 14:04:24 2006
From: Michael <ms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: pygame-users@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [pygame] Soc: Simple Networking
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 19:05:56 +0100

On Monday 01 May 2006 04:29, Simon Wittber wrote:
> On 5/1/06, Brian Fisher <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Just out of curiousity, would wrapping some SDL networking API be a
> > good way to go? Since that's what pygame does for most other things?
> >
> > is the SDL_net library good? (never looked at it myself)
> >
> > http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_net/
>
> SDL_Net will be investigated. The python select and socket modules are
> also being looked at. The reasons for any decision to use a base
> library(which this API will be built on), will be documented and
> discussed.

Just a quick comment, it's also worth mentioning that there's a fair amount of
overlap between that SoC project, and what's already implemented in Kamaelia.
I'm keeping relatively quiet on this at this stage because if you can come up
with a clear API for people to use, then we would be able to provide the tools
that may simplify dealing with the network side of things.

We already have (for example) a simple tool for sharing events over a simple
backplane between two sketching applications that use pygame as the user
interface. We've put extending that to a generic events backplane (distributed
in potentially P2P fashion already since all clients are already servers) that
autoconfigures itself.

The test application we're particularly interested in is graphical
applications - we _needed_ a shared whiteboard, and will need shared video
editting tools along with shared component pipeline/graphline editors, but
the core is a networked events backplane.

How that melds with your summer of code project, I don't know, but I'd be
interested in seeing how the two can complement each other. (FWIW, whilst
there's overlap, I do see that it could well be useful to have simple
networking available, and if there is I'd like Kamaelia to provide a similar
API for people to migrate to if they find it useful)

If case you're interested in the collaborative sketching tool, you can find
the code here:
   * http://kamaelia.sourceforge.net/t/SketchCore.tar.gz

(Requires current Kamaelia CVS tree to run, or next release of Kamaelia/Axon)

The summer of code project we'll mentor is someone suitable comes along is
here:
   * http://kamaelia.sf.net/cgi-bin/projects/blog.cgi?rm=viewpost&nodeid=1145916003

Our main summer of code page is here:
   * http://kamaelia.sourceforge.net/SummerOfCode2006.html

Best Regards,

Michael.
--
Michael Sparks, Senior Research Engineer, BBC Research, Technology Group
michael.sparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx, Kamaelia Project Lead, http://kamaelia.sf.net/

--- End Message ---