[pygame] Font height

Is there any way to manually adjust the height of a font rendered in PyGame? Ascent and descent are set to values that are quite a bit larger than I would prefer, resulting in my text being drawn roughly 40% lower than the given position. There are no setters for those attributes (only getters). I could manually move the rendered text a bit higher on the display, but that is a bit hacky and probably won't work quite right for any given height value.

Thoughts?